Little Cottage Mug Rug

March 26th, 2011

_MG_1123

In honor of Erin’s Mug Rug Madness Week I thought I’d post about my mug rug I made last month for the Portland Modern Quilt Guild swap. I forgot all about it until I saw the adorable house mug rug that Erin posted about earlier this week. I initially wasn’t going to do the swap because I just couldn’t think of something that I liked. Then one morning, about 4am when my 2 year old decided to wake up, and I put him back to bed, I was drifting back to sleep and all the sudden had a vision of this little mug rug. Once I got up at a reasonable hour, I sketched it out and later designed the template.

_MG_1133

I not only liked the shape, but the versatility to do something with the windows and doorway. You could place novelty prints in the windows, use a wood grain print for the door, find window fabric to place in the windows… I could also see little flower boxes appliqued on, and bushes stitched on with embroidery around the base of the cottage. Someone might even be so inclined to stitch on some roof tiles or bricks on the chimney. Even better, at Christmas time make one with a string of lights on the roof and a tree peaking through the window!

I’m linking to the template so you can make your own and I REALLY hope you’ll share a photo of it in my Flickr group so I can see all the different variations. This is one of the things I love about sewing and sharing – seeing all the different possibilities.

_MG_1121-Edit

{Quick} DIRECTIONS

Download and cut out the basic shape of the Little Cottage Template.

1. Cut out a front and back (making sure to flip the template over to cut out one of the pieces, or just layer your fabrics wrong sides together and cut out both pieces at once). Also, cut out a piece of batting to sandwich inside.

_MG_0908

2. Embellish your cottage as you’d like, front and back if you so choose. I used an X-Acto knife to cut out the door and windows and then traced through the opening onto the fabric with a water soluble pen.
3. With right sides together (layered on your batting), stitch around the cottage (1/4” seam allowance) leaving your self an opening to turn right side out. I like to leave mine on the side, but you might like the bottom.
4. Trim the corners and turn right side out, using a knitting needle or skewer to help turn the chimney and poke out the corners. Gently.
5. Press the opening close and pin. Edge stitch around the entire cottage making sure to catch the opening and secure it close.

_MG_1128

And that’s it. Really very simple. The hardest part is deciding how to decorate it. I went ahead and did reverse applique for the doors and window because of how quickly that went, but you could do any number of things…like stitching fabric right on top like Syko does in her designs!

Little Cottage Template (PDF)

38 Comments

1. Amy says:

I really like this.thanks for sharing,Amy

2. Sandra says:

thank you so much for your tutorial .. I’m going to give this a go. It’s very kind of you to share.

3. Hugbuggal says:

Very Cute! Thank you so much for sharing your template and tutorial! :D

4. Jeni says:

Eeek, this is so super cute! :)

5. Darling mug rug. Thanks for sharing your technique.

6. You did a really great job with this!

7. PY says:

This is super cute! Thanks for sharing.

8. this is the cutest little thing i’ve ever seen! thanks for sharing :)

9. Khris says:

Super cute…thanks for another great tutorial. I have linked to you on my Freebies blog..hugs Khris

10. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [27 Mar 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

11. How very cute! thank you for sharing and have a lovely Sunday.

12. PS: I just went through you blog. What an incredible blog you have! You are definitely on my blogroll now (o:
    And … thank you for sharing all those wonderful tutorials (o:

13. Michele says:

So cute! Love all the hand stitching!

14. Tatkis says:

Thank you very much for the tutorial, your house mug rug looks wonderful!

Best wishes,
    Tatyana

15. casserole says:

I love it!!! Your house design is so sweet, and the reverse applique and handstitching are so pretty! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

16. once again, something of yours….darling!! looks great, thanks for sharing!

17. debbie says:

It would be really fun to take a pic of ones own home and sketch the outline for a pattern. Or your friend’s home, and give it as a gift to her/him…maybe I will jump on the mug rug trolly after all. :o)
    Thanks for the inspiration.

18. This is just lovely, thanks for the tute! I think my mother’s day pressies are sorted now :-)

19. upstateLisa says:

it’s adorable. I love houses!

20. Thank you so much for sharing this! I have been in love with it since you first posted pictures a little bit back.

21. a.niza says:

this is cute! Love it! thanks for sharing!

22. Rachel says:

This is such a cute project! I love the big round window – nice detail!

23. J says:

Very cute. Now I know this is very simple but I need some clarification on the instuctions. I have my piece all cut out and the windows and doors holes cut out. Now do I put the embellished fabric on the wrong side of the front of the house and then layer it? Could you tell me in order how my layers go starting with what is laying on my mat? Thanks!

24. Christina says:

J: When I did the reverse appliqué on this I traced my door and windows onto the linen fabric, through the holes on the template, onto the right side of the fabric.. Then I pined my prints on to the backside of the linen (right side of the print to the wrong side of the linen) and stitched around the lines I drew for the doors and windows. After everything was sewn down I cut away the linen fabric within the door and windows to reveal the print, making sure to leave a small seam allowance next to my stitching. My coaster tutorial will give you a good visual on how to do the reverse appliqué.

After the reverse appliqué was done I layered it onto my batting and did my embroidery. You could certainly do it before you layered it if you wanted.

Let me know if anything is unclear or if you have more questions!

25. J says:

Thanks… That did help and I think what I did was to cut out my holes for the door and windows before I put the prints on it. So then does that mean that when you cut away the linen doing it the way you did that there is a raw edge on those windows and doors?

26. Ciao mi chiamo Francesca ed è da molto tempo che guardo il tuo blog…lo trovo semplicemente strepitoso….molto bello i miei complimenti per questa deliziosa casetta sottotazza….bravissima…anche io se pur da poco ho fatto un blog: http//magiedielfo.blogspot.com , spero verrai a trovarmi ne sarei molto felice ciaoooo

27. J says:

What is the finished size of your little mat?

28. colorchic says:

I thought this was so cute the first time I saw it! I would love for you to link up for Ribbon Jar Giveaway @ Color Chic!

29. Lizzie says:

Thanks so much for this cute little template. I made one last night and love it and plan on making a few more of them. Lizzie

30. Léia Cook says:

it’s adorable.Thanks so much. Bjsss

31. kfr14819 says:

I have seen “trivets” that had long stick cinnamon in them – warm items placed on them created the most wonderful scent!!! That may make a nice addition to your project.

32. Jeneta says:

Gorgeous! I am definitely going to be some of these. I can picture them as little gingerbread houses for Christmas gifts!

33. holycow175 says:

adorable, thank you for sharing:)

34. This is really cute…I’ve become a true mug rug collector. Thanks for this tut and template.

35. elnorac says:

What a wonderful tutorial! Thank you very much! Such a versatile project!

36. C.S. Weaver says:

I made a friend something similar last Christmas – a mug mat, large enough to hold a couple cookies or a scone next to a mug of coffee or cocoa. You can find the pic of it on my blog – hint: it has a house on it.